Monday, August 27, 2012

Lunch in a Box: Teriyaki Chickpeas with Mango Pineapple Salsa

I had a super short, but really fun weekend that included a 24 hour trip to Houston for my Fantasy Football draft. I'm waiting for my sister in law to send pics so I can brag blog about my awesome team, so stay tuned.

I did manage to find time to do a little bit of cooking when we got home yesterday, and have this yummy lunch to show for it. It's another (easy) recipe from Happy Herbivore, and it tastes delicious. I paired it with a somewhat spicy Asian Cucumber Salad from Savory Sweet Life, and grapes for dessert. It was a filling, healthy and tasty lunch.




Teriyaki Chickpeas
(2 servings)

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup Teriyaki sauce
1T Szechuan sauce
1 T raw sugar (optional- I left it out)
2 cups cooked brown rice

1 cup pineapple/mango salsa (see recipe below)


Combine chickpeas and sauces in a saute pan, and let marinate for 5-10 minutes (I made the salsa during this time). Turn heat to medium and cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is absorbed. **It took me closer to 20 minutes, but that's because I may or may not have read the instructions wrong and put too much liquid in there.**

Spoon chickpeas over rice and top with salsa. That's it!


Pineapple/Mango Salsa

equal parts diced pineapple and mango
1/4 diced red onion
fresh chopped cilantro
1-2 limes, squeezed

I make things like this to taste- so cut up your fruit, and add the rest in small quantities until you reach your desired taste. I also added a teeny bit of salt to mine to balance the sweet fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment