Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lunch in a Box: Lasagna Rolls

Nothing beats cooking an easy dinner that makes for great leftovers, and that's exactly what this dish was. I found the recipe on the Happy Herbivore site- it's one of 3 that I've made recently, and all were fantastic.

Another thing that I love about this recipe is how adaptable it is. Since I began cooking with Hunk, I've learned to be more flexible with recipes. He loves to just throw a bunch of stuff together, while I prefer to have a clear plan. (OCD much?!) I was able to get a tad bit creative with the spices, but still have a clear cut plan in place.

The base for the recipe is pretty simple: whole wheat lasagna noodles, tofu, spinach and marinara. But putting together the filling allows for creative input. These don't have to be vegan, either. You can add whatever you want for the filling. It's more about making the lasagna rolls, and having a great meal for dinner AND lunch. Just click on the link above for the actual recipe.

One tweak that I made to the cooking process was the final step. Instead of boiling them in sauce, I lined a casserole dish with marinara, placed the lasagna rolls on top, and then topped them with more sauce. Then I just baked them at 325 for about 20 minutes. This seemed much easier (and a lot less messy) to me.

In this particular lunch, I had red grapes, 1% cottage cheese and a few carrot sticks. I'm still trying to stick to a mostly vegan diet, but make exceptions for cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I always seem to crave those two things!



No comments:

Post a Comment