Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lunch in a Box: Polenta Pizza

When I sit down on Sundays to do my meal plan, I always try to pick a dinner or two that will also make for good leftovers. When cooking for two, this is a pretty easy thing to accomplish. Last night I tried out a new dish from the Happy Herbivore site. Lindsay has already written 2 cookbooks and is working on her third. All of her recipes are healthy, easy, and use everyday ingredients (they also happen to be vegan). This is the first recipe I have tried from her site (she has plenty of free recipes available online) and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

The Polenta Pizza is super easy to make, and very easily adaptable. If you're looking to clean out your veggie drawer, this is a great way to do so. I also love that you can make the crust part the night before, and just keep it in the fridge until you're ready to bake it. It took about 10 minutes to make the polenta crust, and then just 20 minutes to assemble and bake the pizza. Easiest dinner I've made in a long time.

For this go around, I used a vegetable primavera pasta sauce, fresh spinach, tomato slices, diced green peppers, and pickled red onions and pickled banana peppers that I keep jarred in the fridge. Again, you can use any combination of veggies (or other ingredients) that you like. The pizza is fairly low in calories (another thing I like about the HH site- it lists nutritional content for all dishes), so you likely want to add something else to your meal if it's not enough. But I tend to eat higher calories meals at lunch and a snack in the afternoon, so lighter meals at night work for me.




The pizza makes 4 servings. I ate one and then saved my 2nd for lunch today. Hunk finished both of his last night. So I was really looking forward to having mine for leftovers today, only to open my lunch bag and realize I had switched up the lunches. Boo! So here is a picture of the lunch that Hunk is now enjoying, while I eat a repeat of the chickpea wraps from Monday.



Polenta Pizza, 1% cottage cheese, roasted corn & jalapeƱo hummus with veggies and a cracker for dipping. I also packed fresh strawberries and blueberries for dessert, and an apple with almond butter for a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment