Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fantasy Football Draft 2012

The much anticipated football season is finally here, and this past weekend I got to participate in the Gridiron Gingerman Gang's live draft in Houston. I missed it last year due to delayed planning and it just wasn't the same, so I was glad we got on the ball early and got a date on the calendar. My brother and sister in law hosted the group at their house, along with ample snacks (check out the Beer and Pretzel Cupcakes I made), refreshments, and even a little entertainment from their hilarious cats. It was a fun little weekend trip for sure!

I'm the defending champion, after spending two years in last place, so there is lots of pressure this season. I didn't feel as prepared as I usually am, but it's really hard to work out a strategy until you know what your draft pick is. I made a few lists, and was sure to highlight the players I did NOT want one my team, just to ensure I didn't grab them in a state of panic.

Overall I give my team a B-. I have a stellar receiving corps, dependable Quarterbacks (I hope), but am really struggling with my running backs. I was really disappointed that I was not able to draft Drew Brees again for my QB (he was snagged the pick ahead of me), but I'll still be wearing my Ms. Breesy jersey this year. I'm working on a few adjustments to my roster, but I can't wait for the first official game. I'm paired up against my brother, and I can't think of a better way to start the season.

After a tense draft, most of the league made their way to Petrol Station, a neighborhood bar that we had been dying to check out. Service was meh- it took a long time to get our food. But the beer selection was perfect and it was nice to sit out on the patio- even if the fan they had was just for decoration. A good friend from grade school, who recently moved to Houston, came to join us. It was a fun way to spend a Saturday evening, and it was fun to catch up with her as well!

All good things must come to an end though, and Hunk and I had to leave mid-Sunday morning. A neighbor was kind enough to feed the animals, but we left them unattended for the night. A short drive back home, and we found that all was well. We left Marley (the Beagle) in charge, and we were glad she followed all directions.

The draft in pictures:

Hunk and I in front of a cool print at B + M's house (thanks for the cute pic Mere!)

Banksy the cat decides he wants in on the action.

Beer and Pretzel cupcakes- my contribution to snacks.

Lists, Magazine and Computer....check! It takes serious coordination to handle the draft. 

Dan and Chidi getting settled and ready.

Blake and Meredith- the hosts. Blake outdid everyone this year with a custom shirt with his team name- Funky Homosapiens. We were all jealous.

Short photo opp, then back to business!

No comments:

Post a Comment