Monday, October 22, 2012

Pixies and Pirates- A 3rd Birthday Party

On Saturday we celebrated my niece Georgia's 3rd birthday party with a Pinterest-worthy Tinkerbell extravaganza. She has been looking forward to this party for months, and my sister must have been planning it for months considering all the cute little details she pulled off. My one and only job was to make her a cake, and I've been stressing out about it for weeks. I had a vision in my head, but most importantly- I wanted it to be something that tasted good too. I tried out two different white cake recipes (the second one was sheer perfection), and I think the overall product got a B+. Most importantly though, Georgia absolutely loved it. So no amount of self critiquing really mattered since she was happy!

It's so hard to believe that 3 whole years have gone by. She continues to grow into this adorable, energetic little blonde curled cutie, and I'm so grateful to my sister and her husband for bringing her into our lives. But seriously, how do you get them to stop growing up so fast?!

1st Birthday
2nd Birthday
3rd Birthday

The birthday cake was a two-tiered traditional white cake with strawberry filling. I'm now pouring over videos on how to get buttercream frosting perfectly smooth (my cake- not so much). I'm a tad obsessed with it right now, and hopefully one day I'll figure it out. But the frosting was delicious (it tasted like vanilla ice cream) and I used a gum paste/fondant mix to make the flowers for the cake. I printed a silhouette of Tinkerbell, and filled it in with pink-tinted white chocolate that I then froze until minutes before I set the cake out. Her wand looked more like a sword, but overall at least you could tell who it was.

Tinkerbell cake.

Tinkerbell cupcakes.

Separate play area with dress up clothes and fairy houses to decorate.

One part of "Neverland".

Food table, complete with fruit skewers coming out of a log.

Peter Pan and Jelly and Enchanting Egg Salad Sandwiches.

Dew Drop Station.

When I took the picture below (on the right), it reminded me of a similar picture that I took last year when Georgia tried on her birthday present from me (a pink fairy outfit and a separate pair of ladybug rain boots). Both are adorable, but again illustrate how much she has grown this past year. 


       


Hank and I enjoying the party. This might be my favorite picture of the two of us so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment