Monday, October 15, 2012

Lunch in a Box: Black Bean Wraps and Hummus


I was out most of the day yesterday (foster event, cookbook club, and seeing my parents), so I didn't have the usual time to make things for lunches for the week. I had made a meal plan earlier in the day though, and was able to churn out an amazing hummus recipe when I got home so that we would at least have something healthy to eat. Thankfully, Hank had made a rice and bean bowl for his dinner, so I was able to use his leftovers to make us wraps for today.

Lunch is pretty simple:

Black beans, rice and canned Rotel, along with fresh spinach of some roasted salsa, wrapped up in a whole-grain, 50 calorie wrap. I packed veggie sticks (carrots and green/red bell peppers) to dip into the hummus, and then a separate container with fresh strawberries and blackberries for an afternoon snack. Hank also got an avocado half to go with his wrap.






The hummus was a piece of cake. Throw everything in a food blender, and you're done. I found (and adapted slightly) the recipe on a great vegetarian blog called eat me, delicious. It's perfect with veggies, but would also make a good sandwich spread or dipped with naan.



Curried Pumpkin Hummus

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/4 cup raw almonds
2-3 T tahini (I would use 3 if you cut out the oil, but 2 would be just fine)
1/3 cup water
1 T olive oil (I really don't think it even needed this much)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp curry powder (you must love curry to love this dish)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt (I used 1 tsp)
pinch of red pepper flakes

Blend ingredients in food processor for 3-5 minutes, until smooth and creamy.


No comments:

Post a Comment