Monday, October 1, 2012

Out and About: Eddie V's

I posted a question on Facebook a week or so ago, asking for people's opinions on favorite steakhouses in Austin. I have my favorite, but was torn about sticking with the usual, or trying something different. Hank and I wanted to celebrate the end of the fiscal year at my work, and also 10 months together for us as a couple. We rarely eat meat, but felt that a nice steak dinner would be the perfect treat.

The responses I got were overwhelmingly in favor of Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. However, I used to go to dinner there with my ex-husband and his family for special occasions, so that was ruled out pretty quickly. We really wanted to try Vince Young Steakhouse, as I have heard amazing things about it (including the fact that their crab cakes are hands-down the best!) They had 3 large parties scheduled the night we wanted to go, and figured that wouldn't be the best time to try it from a service perspective. Austin Land & Cattle was also recommended, but I wasn't thrilled with their sides and was afraid it wouldn't have the "romantic" atmosphere that I also wanted.

So in the end, we decided to go with the always consistent Eddie V's downtown. It has been over 2 years since I last went, but I've never had a disappointing meal there. The service is always spectacular, and they are able to cook my filet perfectly, without over doing it. (I like it medium-plus!) Saturday night's meal did not disappoint.

After an early morning run in the rain, and babysitting Georgia (my almost 3-year old niece) for most of the afternoon, I wasn't sure if we were going to have the energy to enjoy a nice meal. But we did, and it was amazing. I ordered my favorite wedge salad and a perfectly light pink steak, and shared gratin potatoes, spinach, and the mother of all desserts- Godiva cake, with Hank. It was heaven!! Hank ordered a fantastic bottle of Pinot Noir and we enjoyed conversation in the dimly lit (but full of great people watching) dining room. Our service was flawless as well (that can make or break a meal for me).

I love taking opportunities to celebrate things (big or small). It's a great way to enjoy and appreciate the person you're with. Hank has been so supportive of me and my work, and I don't think I could make it without being able to vent to him at times. And getting to celebrate the time that we've been together is always a good reminder of how lucky we are. There are days when it feels like it's been so much longer that that, and there are days when it feels like we're still having those first conversations. I'll be totally cheesy and admit that I can fall in love with him all over again when we get to have those special moments together. It's important to nurture a relationship- and even though I think we do a good job of that with regular, every day things, it's also fun to do it in special ways as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment