Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A day of Georgia

I have been begging my sister for some Auntie time with my adorable niece Georgia. It seems like the only time I get to see her is when the whole family is together. That usually means we're all fighting over her, and I just couldn't take it any longer. Luckily, they had a day of engagements and asked if Hunk and I would be interested in watching her from 9am- 11pm. Uh, sure. No problem!!!

Some of you might not know that I am actually pretty experienced when it comes to kids. I was a nanny for two different families while I was in college (for kids ages newborn-2), and I was an elementary teacher (kinder and first grade) for 7.5 years. But it has been a pretty long time since I've needed to be responsible for THAT long of a time period. We rested up though, and felt ready for the challenge.

Saturday morning started with our usual early morning run. We grabbed tacos and coffee afterwards and then made our way down to San Marcos. G was waiting at the door for us and screamed her giddy scream when she saw us walking up. We immediately started playing with hula hoops that she had out, and then headed down to the pool to beat the heat. Her parents said their goodbyes when we were already in the pool. I didn't really think anything of it when they did, but as I was getting out of the water (and ready to go inside), I noticed that the back door was locked. Awesome. Hunk tried every other door/window/chimney....with no luck! We were locked out.

Neither one of us had our phones on us. I only had my bathing suit (no shoes), and G had a wet suit and a wet swim diaper. Double awesome. But thankfully, Hunk had a shirt, the car key and his wallet that he had taken out of his swim suit just before hopping in the pool. After thinking of every other possible way to get ourselves back inside, he finally drove over to the church where my sis and husband were, and tracked them down to get a key. It put an hour or so dent in our day, but thankfully it turned out fine.

We sat down for some lunch and I did my best attempt at putting Georgia down for a nap. I knew she would need a good one if we were to make it through the rest of the afternoon. I also knew that Hunk and I would need one too!!! We occupied both couches downstairs and were just dozing off when I could hear G on the monitor. "Aaaaaammmmmmyyyyyy......are you there?!" Over. And over. And over again. I tried so hard not to go see her, but finally I couldn't take it. I went up to ask her to lay down and close her eyes. She said ok and complied, but only for about 20ish more minutes. No nap.

So, I got her dressed and off we went to do some "shop, shop". We made a quick stop at Core Running   Company in downtown San Marcos, where Georgia charmed everyone in sight. She has all her toys packed in that purse, and insisted on carrying it around with her. She cracks me up.

Next up was the outlet mall, where everyone else had decided to go too. G likes to play on the different rides there, and I needed to look for some cheap work out clothes. I could tell she was tired, but she was such a champ!!! She stayed in her stroller for most of the time, and we sandwiched quick looks in stores with a snow cone and several rides.

Going fast in the car- her favorite.

After the outlet mall, I knew we had maybe a 30 minute window if we were actually going to grab food at a restaurant for dinner. I could already see her rubbing her eyes, but we decided to push it. We ordered her food as soon as we sat down, and got her set up with some crayons and a menu. She drew some pictures for Hunk and we were able to keep her entertained for the most part. But when the food came, she just wasn't interested in eating. She didn't eat a huge lunch either, which always makes me worry. She kept asking to play Hello Kitty on my phone, and I kept telling her that she needed to eat some of her dinner before she could play. She kept shaking her head at me, so I said that we would just have to go home if she wasn't going to eat. And then the meltdown started.

The mere mention of "going home" started the tears, and I had to hold her for a bit to get her to calm down. She was exhausted, and really was doing her best to behave, but that just set her off. Hunk played with her a little bit longer so we could finish our dinner, and then we headed home. She recovered pretty quickly- for a 2.5 year old, she really is a fantastic child!!! She also didn't have any accidents while in our care (go me for remembering to take her as often as I could.)

G saying "cheese"!! Sadly, I never got a picture with her.

When we got home, I gave her a bath and she picked out some books for Hunk to read to her (she LOVES her Hunk). I put her down and she was asleep barely 10 minutes later. It was such a super fun day, and I hope we get to go back again. My sister called on Sunday morning and said that G was asking for us when she woke up. I really loved getting to have that time with her, and look forward to doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment