Friday, September 28, 2012

Adventures in Fostering: Keeping Kitties Safe

I can't believe that it will be one week tomorrow that I've had these little babies. They are gaining weight and getting strong- and boy do they like to play!! The kitty cam is gaining more viewers, and I certainly enjoy getting to watch them throughout the day. Their routine is pretty simple: sleep, eat, play, pee/poop- repeat! All. Day. Long.

A couple of viewers have commented on how long they stay in their "cage". First, I like to refer to it as their playpen. It's their safe place, and keeps them out of harm while we're away from the house. It's a lot like crate training a dog- you help them be aware of their space, teach them good potty habits, and keep them out of trouble. Little kittens- while awfully cute- can also be destructive. They haven't learned the rules of the house yet, so it's best for everyone (our other pets included) to give them their own spot to chill out in during the day.

When we're home, the kitties get the chance to run around Hank's office (where their pen is located), and they also get to explore the living room when we can keep our eye on them. They love exploring the lower window sills, and climbing on the couch. They also love it when Maddie chases them around. Luckily, all 4 of our animals have behaved themselves around the kittens, and in turn, the kitties are acclimating well to being around other pets. This will help them tremendously when it comes time for them to adapt to their forever homes.

I wish I had more pictures to share, but the truth is they are only still when they're sleeping. Hank was able to snag this picture of them the other day- "just another day at the office."



I'm going to try and get some better pictures of them this weekend- I need them to create flyers for when I take them to adoption events. That's still a few weeks away, so at least I have some time.

Both kitties are eating well, and Bess is using the litter box 100% now! That has certainly helped with how often I'm cleaning up their pen. It does take some work taking care of them, but I have loved every second of it. Their morning feeding is probably my favorite, and it's certainly when they're the most vocal. They are HUNGRY first thing in the morning and cry until I get that plate of wet food in front of them. But other than feeding them several times a day, scooping out the litter box, and making sure they're bedding is all nice and clean- the rest of the time is just playing with them and keeping them out of trouble. Anyone could do this, really!

No comments:

Post a Comment