Monday, April 15, 2013

Lunch in a Box: Greek Chickpea Burger Wraps

Since my Asian Black Bean Burger Wraps were such a hit last week, I thought I'd try it again with a more mediterranean flare to it. I modified the Chickpea Burger recipe from the Tone It Up eating plan, and am really pleased with the results. Now that I have 2 good protein burger recipes, I plan on making them in bulk batches and freezing so that I'm not spending quite as much time in the kitchen.

I'm trying to watch my carb intake (still planning on writing about that later), so this lunch is my attempt at getting enough protein without upping the carb count. After trying collard greens and iceberg lettuce, I've decided that romaine makes the best "wrap" by far. It tastes better than collards, doesn't break as easily as iceberg, plus- it's a darker green color, so it's better for me. I rounded out my lunch with a 1/2 cup of 1% fat cottage cheese, and a really yummy Cucumber Pear Salad.




Greek Chickpea Burger (makes 8 patties)

2 cans of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt (I use Fage)
1/4 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion (I used white, but any onion would do)
1 tsp each: turmeric, paprika, cumin
1/4 ground flaxseed
2-3 sprigs of dill, chopped

1. Heat oven to 350°. Spray baking sheet with fat free spray.
2. Mash chickpeas in a large bowl (my pastry cutter worked perfectly).


3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

                                         

4. Form into 8 balls, and then press into flat patties. Bake for 12 minutes on each side (until slightly browned and crispy).



This is roughly the nutritional information (per 1 burger):

123 calories
2.9g fat
341g sodium
19g carbs
5.7g fiber
2.7g sugar
6.7g protein


Tzaziki (makes 6 servings)

1 cup 0% Greek yogurt (I use Fage)
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp chopped garlic
1-2 sprigs of dill, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and store in fridge.


Cucumber Pear Salad (makes 4 servings)

1 cucumber, halved and seeded and chopped (you can keep the skin on)
2 pears, peeled and chopped
6 T rice wine vinegar
1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp sugar (I used 2 packets of Nectresse)
dash (or two) of red pepper flakes

Mix all ingredients in a bowl- will store in fridge for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment