Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Rainy, Lazy Sunday

This past Sunday was everything you dream about when needing an excuse to do nothing. It rained steadily almost all day long, and I didn't feel the least bit guilty about being lazy most of the day. We enjoyed breakfast in bed with the Sunday paper (my new favorite habit), and then prepared for an afternoon of food and football. I made it to the store in time to make the 12 o'clock kick-off of the Houston Texans game. I'm a fan, and am looking forward to what seems to be a really great season for them.

But no lazy day is complete without some good food to accompany it. And since I torture Hank with mostly vegetarian meals, I decided to treat him to a yummy roast beef sandwich. I only grabbed enough meat and cheese from the deli for two sandwiches, and made a delicious horseradish sauce with ingredients I had in the fridge. The end result was this:


Nothing makes a sandwich better than toasting it under the broiler. Just look at that cheese!!

And of course, nothing says "football snack" like a little side of chips and queso!

For the second week is a row, my fantasy football team pulled off a come-from-behind win, and I'm sitting pretty in 2nd place for now. It's shocking considering both of my running backs can't seem to produce to save their lives. There's a long season ahead, so I'm trying not to get too cocky right out of the gate.


To counter our indulgent lunch, Hank put together a yummy (vegetarian) crockpot stew with all kinds-of good fall vegetables. I made some cornmeal dumplings to put into it, and we had a nice healthy dinner to end the day. I don't know if I've ever made dumplings before, but I would do them a little differently based on how these turned out. I don't think they had enough liquid, and I don't think they take as long to cook as the recipe said. But if you're looking for an easy crockpot meal, give this Vegetable Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings a try. (And splurge for the already cut-up butternut squash- it makes life so much easier!)

It doesn't get much easier than throwing a bunch of things in the crockpot, and letting it do all the work for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment