Friday, September 7, 2012

A Labored Day Weekend

Funny how quickly a 3-day weekend can go by. After our typical Saturday morning long run, breakfast tacos, laundry, and a quick nap ensued. Before we knew what happened, college football had started! We really hadn't made solid plans for the weekend, but found our way to the new house of one of Hank's friends to watch some college games. Brian and Kami had lived right across the street from us, and moved about a month ago. I know Hank misses the convenience of walking across the street, playing basketball, and just getting to hang out with Brian. We hadn't seen their new house since they moved, so it was fun getting to go over there to eat, drink and catch up. I made Cheddar Tailgating Bread for the occasion- it was a cheesy, gooey mess. It was tasty, but I don't know that I would make it again. It was like a heart attack on a plate, and I just don't know that it's worth it.

I wish I could say that I had slept in on Sunday, but that rarely seems to be the case. The cats are my fool-proof 5:30 am alarm system, and they don't seem to recognize that Sundays are my one day off! I got up to feed all the animals and read a little so that at least Hank could sleep in a bit. And then....I was treated to breakfast in bed! Homemade pumpkin pancakes, along with coffee and the Sunday paper. Talk about a perfect morning. It was just the thing I needed to raise my spirits a bit.

We had to do the necessary yard work (him) and house cleaning (me) the rest of the day, along with a few other errands. I also gave Maddie a bath- she had been chewing a pig's ear during the week, and I just couldn't take the smell on her beard any longer. Hank threw out the idea of going out somewhere fun for dinner, but I was exhausted and not in the mood to get myself all dressed. I don't even remember what we ended up doing for dinner, but it was nice to just relax!!

Maddie BEFORE (not such a happy camper)

Maddie AFTER (still pissed, but feeling very glamorous)


Monday- Labor Day- we went to our friend Jeff's house for a raucous brunch. He is notorious for being the host with the most, and never disappoints. We got to cuddle a friend's adorable newborn baby, play with dogs, and nosh on fabulous food all while being surrounded by a wonderfully entertaining assortment of people. (I made pimiento cheese deviled eggs and Bourbon Bacon Chocolate Chip cookies for the occasion.)








Towards the end of brunch, someone busted out the Cards Against Humanity game and we had to stay and play. The game is a horrendous mix of politically incorrect and often raunchy/disturbing statements, but it's so much fun!! If I had stayed a few more minutes, I might have pulled off a win. I was tied with Jeff for 6 of my cards being picked, but he pulled off 7 and I called it a game.

It was the perfect mix of fun, rest, and some quality time with Hank. Of course, it went by way too fast, but we made the most of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment