Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Week 2: Vitamins

Week 2 is half-way over, and I'm already falling off the wagon of my next healthy living tip- vitamins. Not being one to enjoy taking pills, it's a struggle for me to fill up the water class and choke down the 3 behemoth multi-vitamins that I'm vowing to take from now on. I've already forgotten twice this week!

Staying true to my "keep it simple and affordable" theme, I didn't want to start off with every bottle on the shelf. So I grabbed a bottle of the Central Market brand Multi-Vitamin for Women. At my age, what is most important is making sure you're getting your daily dose of vitamins C, D and E, all of which can be accomplished by one multi-vitamin.

Why vitamins? Well, according to Livestrong.com, they help repair and maintain organs to make sure that they're doing what they're supposed to. A healthy balanced diet usually ensures that you're getting most of what you need. But if you aren't seeing enough color in your fruits and veggies each day, it's not a bad idea to supplement your diet with either a multi-vitamin, or one specific to any deficiencies you might have.

If you want to go the extra mile, you also want to make sure that you're getting enough Calcium, Iron and Folic Acid, too. Since your body stops building bone density around age 35, it's super important to make sure that you're adding plenty of low-fat dairy products into your diet. Weight-bearing exercise is another great way to improve your bone health. Osteoporosis runs in my family, so this one is especially important to me. I might run, bike and swim a lot, but two days of weight training is crucial to my health for this very reason!

So next time you're at the store, especially if it's on one of HEB's "Healthy Living" Saturdays (when many vitamins are on sale) stop in the health aisle and see what's available. It's never to late to start doing good things for your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment