Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Lunch in a Box: Veggie Bento

This is my first true Bento lunch (at least based on what I think the definition of Bento is), making spectacular use of leftover veggies and some pre-made items. First, I whipped up a batch of Egg White Frittata Muffins on Sunday, and used one of them to add protein to my lunch. I need to tweak the recipe on the next go around (adding one whole egg to the egg white mix), but these are such an easy item to make, and they are also great to pull out for any meal of the day. I love that you can add just about any toppings that you have, and are great for using up veggies from the fridge.

Next, I used roasted vegetables that I made with dinner (I cooked extra just to use for lunches) and leftover tofu from dinner as well, along with the White Bean Hummus from HEB. (A- this hummus is delicious, and B- it only has 70 calories for a 2T serving.) I wish I had a little more color range in my vegetables, but this box includes: okra, red bell pepper and brussels sprouts. The peppers are raw, but the others were tossed with a little bit of olive oil, kosher salt and fresh chopped oregano from our garden. All around a totally delicious and outrageously healthy lunch, that only took a few minutes to assemble thanks to a little early preparation!



Estimated nutritional info for the entire lunch (please note that I eat 2 small snacks during the day to supplement my calorie intake):

261 calories
9g fat
24.7g carb
7.6g fiber
19.3g protein


Egg White Frittata Muffins (makes 9 muffins)

1.5 cups egg whites (I used the HEB brand in a carton, but next time will add one whole egg)
1/2 cup rice milk (you can substitute any kind-of milk)
1/4 slice from a small log of goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli
4 T chopped sundried tomatoes

1. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray, and heat oven to 350ยบ.
2. Mix egg whites and milk together, then pour into muffin tin.
3. Sprinkle toppings, and bake for about 12 minutes (until mix has set and top is slightly browned).

No comments:

Post a Comment