Monday, June 25, 2012

Sunday Supper

I recently received the newest cookbook for our Cookbook Club.....Ruhlman's Twenty. It's been awhile since we've done a technique-focused book, so I was really excited to get this. The premise of the book is that all cooking can (and should be) centered around a handful of good techniques. This book includes 20, ranging from Eggs to Poaching to Vinaigrettes. Each technique includes 5 recipes that highlight these specific skills. Not only is the book brilliant (and easy enough for cooks of all levels), but it's also beautiful.

While some of the recipes could easily be made on a weeknight, I wanted to focus on something that I could really spend time on. Since I didn't have anything planned for Sunday, I decided to spend part of the day in the kitchen cooking a yummy Sunday supper. My final menu included:

Chipotle Corn Fritters with Cilantro Lime Dipping Sauce (from the Fry section)
Blue Cheese and Bacon Deviled Eggs (from the Chill section)
Greek salad (Hunk's creation)
Watermelon Feta Mint Salad (adapted from Bobby Flay's recipe)



Sunday supper feast

The fritters had a delicious smoky heat to them, tempered by a creamy dipping sauce. The recipe made about 15, and we ate all of them! I hardly ever fry things, so this was a special treat. In fact, Hunk was the one who manned the actual frying, and the fritters turned out great. Also from the book were the deviled eggs. The cooking instructions were just right- with emphasis being on chilling the eggs before taking the shells off. It did make the process easier, and the yolks inside were absolutely perfect. Not to mention that there was blue cheese and bacon going on. I would make both of those dishes again in a heartbeat.

We wanted to do a big salad so that we would at least have something healthy in the meal. It included romaine, red onion, chickpeas, feta, cucumber and a simple vinaigrette dressing made with lemon, olive oil and oregano. We totally could have gone without the salad, but at least we got our veggies in.

The Watermelon salad was a last minute addition. I had grabbed a personal-sized watermelon at HEB and it just looked so delicious. Since cutting the thing up takes time itself, I figured we better get it out of the way while we could. I remembered seeing a Bobby Flay recipe a few weeks back and decided to give it a try. Since I had feta and mint (in the backyard), it was easy to throw together. The recipe suggests mixing red wine vinegar, olive oil, S&P and fresh chopped mint, and then tossing that with the watermelon and red onion. To be honest, it really didn't need the dressing. I could have just tossed the mint in there and left it alone. Regardless, it was absolutely delicious!




A perfect summer supper!


No comments:

Post a Comment