Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Costco Newbie

I just had my first Costco experience.

We're hosting a party this weekend and decided to give Costco a try for buying some things in bulk. I ran by there at lunch (yes, I was actually able to get in and out in 40 minutes) just so that I could price some things and get a better idea about what they have that I need. I made a quick sweep through the liquor store, and then browsed the perimeter. I had no intention of actually buying anything today, until I saw this:

2 pounds of cubed butternut squash, for HALF the price that my HEB sells it at.

Already ecstatic over this amazing find (I don't buy it as much as I would like at HEB because it's $4 for a piddly little styrofoam tray full), I continued to browse the "deli" section. And by deli, I mean all kinds-of things that would make lunch packing so much easier. Including this awesome vegetarian find below. Only 60 calories and 2.5 grams of fat per grape leaf. I could pack 2-3 of those, plus some veggies/fruit sides, and I'm in business. It was $10.59 for a box of about 20. At first I thought that sounded like a lot, but I can get 5-6 lunches out of that, making it only $2 (ish) per lunch. Not too shabby. Plus- I won't spend hours in the kitchen trying to make something like this (which I totally would try).



I've been to Sam's once (over 10 years ago) to buy stuff for a party, and I know there won't be a ton of need for us to go on a regular basis. But I'm already excited about some things I found, and can't wait for our big trip shopping tomorrow night.

So I'm dying to know from others who regularly shop at Costco- what other great finds should I be on the look-out for? Keep in mind we eat mostly vegetarian, so I won't be stocking up on meat any time soon. But are there other good vegetable deals, or frozen foods that I should seek out? I get irritated around crowds, so I can't imagine spending hours browsing all the aisles. Any help that will limit my amount of time in there would be much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment