Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How to train for a sprint triathlon in two weeks

This post was originally supposed to be titled "How to train for a sprint triathlon in one month"....but, well. That was two weeks ago, and I never quite got the ball rolling. So here I am, two weeks out from my first triathlon of the season, the CapTexTri. I do this race every year, and even though I hesitated about signing up for this year, I knew I would be disappointed if I missed it.

The problem is that I just have not been real motivated to train lately. I've been running, and that's about it. My life is a little different now. This time last year, I wasn't dating seriously and I felt like spending most of my free time training. It took a lot of work getting ready for my first Olympic-distance triathlon, and I just didn't have it in me this go around. But I signed up and need to find some way to get through this without drowning/dying/passing out.

The good news is that the distances are short. It's a 750 meter swim, 20K bike, and a 5K run. The bad news is that I have not been swimming or biking since last fall. I can, however, run a 5K. It's just been awhile since doing it AFTER the other two sports. On Sunday I was able to get into the pool and swim 550 meters in just under 13 minutes. Not too shabby at all. I can work with that. I still have yet to dust off my bike and make sure it's still working. But I have been riding the spin bikes at work, so at least I'm getting my legs moving. Here is my plan for getting through this without completely embarrassing myself come race day.

Week 1 schedule:

Sunday- swim 10-15 minutes
Monday- bike 50 minutes, run 30 minutes, light weight training
Tuesday- run (Gazelle's workout), light weight training
Wednesday- easy 30 minute run, swim 20 minutes
Thursday- run (Gazelle's workout), bike 40 minutes
Friday- this might be a rest day, as I'm sure I'll be exhausted from the week
Saturday- bike 15-20 miles, run 3 miles


Week 2 schedule:

Sunday- swim 20-25 minutes
Monday- bike 60 minutes, run 30 minutes, light weight training
Tuesday- run (Gazelle's workout), light weight training
Wednesday- bike 60 minutes, easy run 30 minutes, swim 20 minutes
Thursday- run (Gazelle's workout), light weight training
Friday- bike 40 minutes
Saturday- easy 3-4 mile run
Sunday- REST
Monday- TRIATHLON

I'll be doing two (and sometimes three) a days, with workouts in the morning, at lunch, and possibly after work. The only actual brick (bike/run) that I will do will be on this Saturday. Yikes. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. ironman training
    Coaching programs from beginners to Olympians.Cycling, Running, Triathlon and Boxing training programs Online worldwide coaching for all types of athletes.

    ReplyDelete