Friday, February 10, 2012

Out and About: 219 West

I'm sure many of you remember the fabulous happy hour at 219 West. If you don't remember, they had terrific small plates paired with a variety of drinks, all at great prices. Well, they shut down their old location and relocated to the space previously occupied by Union Park on West 6th (which is now in The Domain). You still with me?

I met up with a girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to write about the new location. From the outside, I couldn't tell much of a difference. But wow- once you walk in, it's a completely new space. The lighting was fantastic, the bar had been relocated to a better spot, and the environment seemed more conducive to mingling around groups of tables instead of the crowded meat market it used to be. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to try their happy hour this go around. Instead, we found a spot upstairs on their balcony (that looks exactly the same as before.) No reason to mess with a good thing, as they have ample space for both sitting and mingling.

Let me be honest in saying that I haven't spent a lot of time out in bars lately, especially in this part of downtown. When I go out, I much prefer a smaller wine bar, or a quirky bar on the East side. Maybe it's just my age....but MAN! There was some crazy people watching going on that night. First was a girl in a sleeveless fur vest thingy that zipped up the front. Though I'm pretty sure she forgot to zip it up all the way. I know this because most of her boobs were hanging out the front. Intentional, I'm sure. But seriously, let's leave a little to the imagination, ok?

Then there was the girl in the tight leather pants. I can't imagine that she was able to get those things on all by herself. In fact, they might have actually been sprayed on, now that I think about it. They were so tight, they made her walk funny. Surely that negates anything that could possibly considered attractive about that look?

On our way out, I ran into what was likely a hired date in one of those dresses made out of little strips of fabric. Those dresses are great when you're a size 4. Not so much when you're a size 14, over the age of 50, and the length is more appropriate to be worn over leggings- not your bare legs. Call me judgmental, but where is the class, ladies?! I get wanting to go out, looking good. But you can still accomplish that without showing all your goods. I was so ready to get home and in my jammies after all that. There are some things about being "out and about" that I really do not miss.

Maybe that's what I get for going out a little later on a Friday night. I hope that all the cheesiness is not a true indicator of the usually clientele. They've done a great job making it look like a really classy bar. It's likely that I will go back again though, only at a more reasonable, earlier hour. As much as I enjoy a good dose of people watching, that was all just a little too much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment