Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Lunch in a Box: BBQ Tofu leftovers

This is seriously one of the easiest dinners that makes for great leftovers the next day. I love (metaphorically) killing two birds with one stone, and that's what makes this such a great lunch box!

The idea for the BBQ tofu dinner originally came from a post on Oh She Glows, a new recent favorite vegan blog. I didn't even need to look at the recipe, I just knew I wanted to dump barbecue sauce on a block of tofu, bake it, and call it a meal. Lucky for me, it was pretty much that simple.

Here's what I did to get this meal done in about 30 minutes (with the help of Hank, since I was making breakfast muffins at the same time):

Drain a block of tofu (or don't, if you don't have time- we rarely do)
Slice into 1/2 inch thick slices, not cutting all the way through
Place in a baking dish sprayed lighting with non-stick spray
Pour your favorite BBQ sauce on top (we used about 1/2 a bottle of Stubb's) on top of and in between the slices
Bake in oven at 350° (for roughly 30 minutes)

Meanwhile, chop your broccoli (or any other vegetable) and get it steaming.
Boil water and cook your grains. (I picked couscous because I really don't like quinoa, and it cooks super quick).

When the sides are done, pull out the tofu and put it all on a plate. This also makes a great "bowl of food", one of Hank's favorite things to do. He just layers it all in a bowl and mixes it together. It tasted awesome for dinner, and even better the next day for lunch after the flavors had a chance to really get into the tofu.

I packed my lunch box before we even did the dishes, and added some fresh strawberries for a little dessert. This was by far one of my favorites lunches in awhile. If you don't like tofu, you can obviously substitute baked chicken or other meat.



No comments:

Post a Comment