Monday, March 5, 2012

Week 10: Get Dirty

This past weekend was one of the prettiest that Austin has seen in awhile. The sun was out, there was a nice breeze, and temps hovered in the upper 70's. If you weren't outside at some point, you seriously missed out. I had a great weekend, and did my best to enjoy as much of the weather as possible. Part of that time was spent in the yard over at Hunk's house, getting his backyard ready for hopefully some more beautiful Spring days. He has a neat corner of the yard designated for lounging, but everything surrounding it needed to be brought back to life after winter.

We headed over to Home Depot, and for around $100, made some major improvements to the backyard. He did a ton of trimming, worked on digging up some bushes to transplant in a different location, and also planted 3 trees (2 of them are peach trees, which I'm very excited about). I planted some  herbs and vegetables, and generally bossed him around the rest of the time. We got some sun, some dirt on our hands, and overall had a great time. I'm sure my mom is laughing because I'm not known for having much of a green thumb, but it was a fun way to spend an afternoon together. And hopefully, fingers crossed, we'll have some fresh herbs and veggies soon. (Unless his dog continues to eat the broccoli I planted.)


Veggie Garden Before.
 Marley is already stalking the empty bed.

Veggie Garden After.
Two kinds of tomatoes in the back, broccoli in the middle, and peppers in the front. 

Compost Bin Before.
Hunk built this himself, but it really needed a few friends.


Compost Bin After.
We moved some Texas Sage Shrubs from another location to here. 

My favorite- Strawberries!!! Not sure if they'll take, but I'm hoping to grow at least a few before Marley eats them. I also planted basil, oregano, rosemary, tarragon and mint close to these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment