Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Song of the Day: Hold On by Alabama Shakes

In my old blog, I used to highlight new (or sometimes new-to-me) songs that I really loved. It's been awhile since I heard something worth sharing- but I would feel awful if I didn't tell you about my my most recent music experience.

I don't consider myself to be a very lucky person. Good things have happened to me, but it's usually because I work hard to make them happen. Yesterday was a different story. I got a text from a good friend asking if I had plans for the evening. I almost answered "yes", since I usually run with Gazelle's on Tuesday. But this friend always knows the cool things going on, so I asked for more information. Turns out she had won tickets to see an ACL Live taping, but wasn't going to be able to make it. I had not heard of the band before, but one short iTunes search later and I knew it was a show not to be missed. Although the band was formed in 2009, I think they only started to tour last year. Their album isn't even going to be released until next month, though they do have the single "Hold On" available. They are already selling out shows, and getting tons of buzz. If you don't believe me, you can find several reviews already from the land of SXSW here and here.

I have never been to an ACL taping, and if you ever get the chance to go- do it, no matter who is playing. They are always on top of what is sure to be the next big thing, and I have no doubt we will be hearing more from this young and talented band. Brittany Murphy, the lead singer, is only like 22ish years old, with a voice well beyond her years. It's a deep, soulful sound and it's hard to get enough of it. She can go from singing a softer ballad like "Boys & Girls", to belting out "Be Mine". If I have to pick a favorite though, besides Hold On, it would be "I Found You". I am in love with the lyrics...  "Well, I traveled a long way, and it took a long time. But I found you. You know I found you!" Overall, it was a super fun, impromptu date night with Hunk, and hopefully I'll get the chance to see them in action again soon.



Enjoy the video of their single "Hold On".


<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wYEFh0jms-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment